A man has received £4,000 in compensation after a piece of medical equipment was left inside him following an operation.
David Bould, 54, went into the University Hospital of Hartlepool in April 2008 to have his hip replaced due to general wear and tear.
Originally, it was thought that the operation had been a success. However, an x-ray revealed that the guide pin had been left inside Mr Bould’s body.
He had to go for another operation to have the equipment removed, which he claims caused him unnecessary suffering.
"To be told that they had made a mistake and would have to operate again was a huge shock," he commented.
Mr Bould took legal action against North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust and has now secured £4,000 in compensation. A spokesperson said procedures have now been changed to avoid such incidents happening in the future.
Anyone who has suffered as a result of a medical practitioner not exercising what is seen as a normal standard of care and skill may have good grounds for a clinical negligence claim.